Since Starbucks kicked off the pumpkin craze with the release of their now classic Pumpkin Spice Latte back in 2003, it seems to reach new heights each fall, and it’s not about to slow down: coffee creamer, cereals, bagels, and beer have all been given the pumpkin treatment in recent years. But what about the lesser celebrated members of the squash family? I, for one, believe it’s high time that the underdog of the squash world, the noble butternut squash, high in antioxidants, Vitamin C, and potassium, deserves a turn in the spotlight. Check out these six recipes that put butternut squash at center stage, and prove that pumpkins aren’t the only squash worthy of some love this fall.
- Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Butternut Squash from Jar of Lemons
Cue the mariachi band, this is a fall fiesta for your mouth.
- Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta from What’s Gaby Cooking
This recipe calls for heavy cream and pasta. Need I say more?
- Butternut Squash Pizza with Kale & Goat Cheese from The Balanced Berry
Replace tomato sauce with butternut squash sauce for a fun fall update on pizza.
- Whole Wheat Spiced Butternut Squash Muffins from The Healthy Foodie
Muffins and fall just go together, don’t you think?
- Velvety Butternut Cinnamon Date Smoothie for Two from Oh She Glows
Fall in a glass. Cheers to a healthy choice!
- Butternut Squash Pie from House of Yumm
Smooth and spicy, the proof is in the pudding pie: butternut squash is a winner.